TerraStar Correction Services
TerraStar Correction Services offer complementary solutions for NovAtel CORRECT with PPP and NovAtel CORRECT with RTK.
NovAtel CORRECT™ with PPP utilizes TerraStar correction services to provide accurate sub-metre or decimetre positioning around the world, anytime. We offer two different service levels, TerraStar-L and TerraStar-C.
NovAtel CORRECT™ with RTK paired with an RTK ASSIST subscription allows users to maintain RTK level accuracy during outages in RTK radio or cellular network connectivity and enables the user to operate in RTK mode through wireless dead spots.
Subscriptions for all TerraStar Correction Services, including TerraStar-C, TerraStar-L and RTK ASSIST are available directly from NovAtel for land and airborne applications.1 A variety of subscription durations are available.
NovAtel’s highly recognized Applications Engineering team is available to assist with the integration of your TerraStar correction service or your RTK ASSIST service, ensuring optimized positioning for your application.
TerraStar Network Infrastructure
Over 80 GNSS reference stations that are located around the world are operated, maintained and controlled by TerraStar. There are seven Geostationary communication satellites, which means two beams are always visible from anywhere on earth. The TerraStar network has three network control centers and backup to front line support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
BY INSTALLING OR USING THE SUBSCRIPTION, BY NOVATEL SENDING THE SUBSCRIPTION ACTIVATION FOR THE RECEIVER TO YOU, OR BY THE PAYMENT OF THE SUBSCRIPTION FEE YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THE RELATED TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOUND HERE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, DO NOT USE THE SUBSCRIPTION OR OBTAIN THE SUBSCRIPTION ACTIVATION CODE FROM NOVATEL. ALL SUBSEQUENT SUBSCRIPTIONS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE LATEST VERSION OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THEN AVAILABLE ON THE NOVATEL WEB SITE.
Accessories can be purchased to support your product development efforts or assist in product integration.
NovAtel CORRECT™ with PPP utilizes TerraStar’s premium correction data delivery to provide solutions with high accuracy and instant re-convergence in challenging conditions. The corrections are delivered over L-Band directly to your NovAtel receiver without the need for additional base station infrastructure. Subscriptions for TerraStar corrections are available directly from NovAtel for land and airborne applications.
- Multiple service levels available
- Corrections delivered via satellite direct to end user
- GPS + GLONASS corrections
- Available for land and airborne applications
- Supported on all OEM7, OEM628, OEM638, SMART6-L, and SPAN® on OEM6 products
- Improves accuracy and performance of solutions
- Reliable positioning even in difficult environments
- Simplifies equipment needs by eliminating a base station
- Sole source for GNSS hardware and corrections
|Horizontal Accuracy1 (RMS)||40 cm||4 cm|
|Vertical Accuracy1 (RMS)||60 cm||6.5 cm|
|Convergence Time2||5 min
1. Calculated from 7 day static data in Calgary. Accuracy will vary with observing conditions.
2. Convergence times may vary by several minutes and are dependent on observing conditions including number of visible GNSS signals, level of multipath and proximity to obstructions like large trees or buildings. In ideal conditions, receivers can converge to 50cm in less than 5 minutes, 20 cm in approximately 10 minutes and full accuracy in 30-45 minutes.
For more information on NovAtel CORRECT click here
RTK ASSIST™ Service
For receivers operating NovAtel CORRECT with RTK, an RTK ASSIST subscription ensures the receiver can maintain centimetre-level positioning accuracy for periods of outages in RTK radio or cellular network connectivity. With a RTK ASSIST subscription, the positioning solution transitions into RTK ASSIST mode and remains there until corrections are recovered, a timeout is reached or position accuracy degrades beyond a defined threshold.
- Extended RTK operation, which improves productivity by reducing the downtime caused by RTK correction signal outages
- Operates seamlessly in the background from the onset of an RTK correction outage, during the outage and once the connection is re-established
- Automatically compensates for datum differences and related biases between correction sources
- Global coverage as the technology uses the correction data delivered via the TerraStar network infrastructure
- Provides RTK level accuracy for up to 20 minutes of correction outage
1. What is NovAtel CORRECT and how does TerraStar fit in?
NovAtel CORRECT is NovAtel's brand for all absolute positioning solutions on NovAtel OEM6 and OEM7 receivers. It encompasses everything from sub-metre SBAS positioning to decimetre-level PPP positioning and centimetre-level RTK positioning. To achieve decimetre and centimetre level solutions, external corrections are required. NovAtel CORRECT with PPP now provides sub-decimetre (TerraStar-C) and sub-metre (TerraStar-L) positioning using corrections from a source external to the receiver. TerraStar is the provider of these corrections through their correction data generation and delivery network.
2. On which Novatel products are TerraStar services available?
To use TerraStar correction services, an OEM6 or OEM7 receiver with a NovAtel CORRECT model is required. In addition, an L-band capable product is also a pre-requisite since TerraStar corrections are delivered over L-band. This includes all OEM7, OEM628, OEM638, Smart6L and SPAN on OEM6 products with the exception of the OEM615 line. Customers using OEMV or SPAN on OEMV products will need to upgrade to OEM6 hardware in order to use NovAtel CORRECT and TerraStar services.
3. How do I purchase NovAtel CORRECT and TerraStar services?
NovAtel CORRECT is the positioning algorithm on our OEM6 receivers which enables our proprietary positioning solution. It is purchased and enabled through authorization codes similar to features like GLIDE and ALIGN. Different authorization codes are required depending if the customer wants NovAtel CORRECT with PPP (sub-decimetre/sub-metre solution) or NovAtel CORRECT with RTK (centimetre solution).
In combination with a NovAtel CORRECT with PPP authorization code, NovAtel customers can purchase TerraStar subscriptions directly from NovAtel. This means single point of contact for sales and support issues for the end to end solution.
If you purchased your NovAtel product from an authorized dealer, please contact them directly to purchase subscriptions. Click here for a list of NovAtel dealers.
4. Can I upgrade my existing OEM6 hardware to use TerraStar?
Yes, you can upgrade your OEM6 receiver to utilize NovAtel CORRECT with PPP and then purchase a subscription for the TerraStar service. More information is available in APN-061, available on the support page of the NovAtel website.
5. Which applications are suitable for TerraStar services?
TerraStar offers subscriptions for any land and airborne applications. Land subscriptions are limited to a maximum velocity of 130 km/h (or 80 mph). Airborne subscriptions have no velocity limit and operate up to 10km from shore in order to allow for aircraft turns over coastlines.
6. What is the difference between regional and global subscriptions?
Regional subscriptions are transmitted over 3 adjoining satellites to provide continent-wide coverage. Global subscriptions are transmitted over all 7 satellites to provide world-wide coverage.
7. Who do I contact if I'm having problems with NovAtel CORRECT or my TerraStar subscription?
NovAtel’s Applications Engineering team supports all products sold by NovAtel, including TerraStar and RTK ASSIST subscriptions. Click here to contact support.