TerraStar Correction Services
TerraStar uses a global network of multi-GNSS reference stations and advanced algorithms to generate highly precise GNSS satellite orbit, clock, biases and other system parameters. This information allows TerraStar to provide correction services with sub-metre or centimetre-level positioning accuracy to NovAtel receivers. Corrections are transmitted in real-time, with minimal latency, via satellites and cellular networks (Internet Protocol) worldwide.
View TerraStar's coverage area here.
TerraStar Network Infrastructure:
Over 100 GNSS reference stations that are located around the world are operated, maintained and controlled by TerraStar. There are seven Geostationary communication satellites, which means two beams are always visible from anywhere on earth. The TerraStar network has three network control centres and backup to front line support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Subscriptions for all TerraStar and RTK ASSIST Correction Services are available directly from NovAtel for land and airborne applications.1 A variety of subscription durations are available.
BY INSTALLING OR USING THE SUBSCRIPTION, BY NOVATEL SENDING THE SUBSCRIPTION ACTIVATION FOR THE RECEIVER TO YOU, OR BY THE PAYMENT OF THE SUBSCRIPTION FEE YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THE RELATED TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOUND HERE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, DO NOT USE THE SUBSCRIPTION OR OBTAIN THE SUBSCRIPTION ACTIVATION CODE FROM NOVATEL. ALL SUBSEQUENT SUBSCRIPTIONS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE LATEST VERSION OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THEN AVAILABLE ON THE NOVATEL WEB SITE.
Accessories can be purchased to support your product development efforts or assist in product integration.
TerraStar premium GNSS corrections combined with NovAtel’s OEM technology offers sub-metre to centimetre-level positioning solution for land, unmanned and airborne applications globally. TerraStar corrections are available as a termed subscription directly from NovAtel.
40 cm (RMS)
50 cm (95%)
4 cm (RMS)
5 cm (95%)
2.5 cm (RMS)
3 cm (95%)
||60 cm (RMS)||6.5 cm (RMS)||5 cm (RMS)|
||< 5 min
||< 18 min
|Supported Platform||OEM7, OEM6
- Satellite-delivered corrections eliminate the need for base station(s) and cellular network connectivity
- TerraStar corrections superior GNSS reference network, redundant system architecture, continuous quality monitoring
- High rate corrections provide rapid re-convergence, typically in less than 60 seconds following brief GNSS signal disruptions
- OEM positioning technology allows continuous operation through correction signal interruptions up to 300 seconds
- Overlapping geostationary satellite coverage ensures maximal coverage
- Triple L-Band tracking5 allows better correction signals reception—even in challenging environments
- A seamlessly integrated solution from a single source including GNSS hardware and corrections
- TerraStar-L is only available on OEM628, FlexPak6 and SMART6-L products.
- TerraStar-C is only available on OEM628, OEM638, FlexPak6, ProPak6 and SMART6-L products.
- Measured performance from seven-day static data. Horizontal and vertical accuracy may differ based on receiver capabilities, location, GNSS constellation health and visibility, GNSS/L-Band signal obstructions, level of multipath/interference, and local atmospheric conditions.
- Convergence times may vary by several minutes and are dependent on observing conditions including the number of visible GNSS signals, level of multipath and proximity to obstructions like large trees or buildings. TerraStar-C and PRO convergence times are specified to a horizontal accuracy of 5 cm at 95%. TerraStar-L convergence time is specified to a horizontal accuracy of 50 cm at 95%.
- Triple L-Band tracking is supported only on OEM7 platforms. Most locations have at least two geostationary satellites in view.
RTK ASSIST™ Services
Powered by TerraStar, RTK ASSIST enables NovAtel receivers to maintain centimetre-level accuracy during RTK data outages, radio signal blind spots or cellular network connectivity interruptions. RTK ASSIST automatically works in the background seamlessly engaging and disengaging between RTK correction outages. The positioning solution transitions to ASSIST mode and remains there until corrections are recovered, a timeout is reached, or position accuracy degrades beyond a defined threshold.
RTK ASSIST is available as a termed subscription directly from NovAtel for land, unmanned and airborne applications.
- Extended RTK operation, which improves productivity by reducing the downtime caused by RTK correction signal outages and cellular signal interruptions
- Operates seamlessly in the background from the onset of an RTK correction outage, during the outage and once the connection is re-established
- Automatically compensates for datum differences and other biases to the RTK solution
- Global coverage as the technology uses TerraStar GNSS corrections generated from a worldwide network
- RTK ASSIST uses satellite-delivered corrections over L-Band directly to end users worldwide
- Scalable solutions including RTK ASSIST and RTK ASSIST PRO to meet different application needs
RTK ASSIST PRO1
- With an RTK ASSIST PRO subscription, unlock unlimited RTK assistance, maintaining centimetre-level accuracy for even longer RTK correction outages and downtimes
- Provides centimetre-level positioning solution independent of RTK, enabling operations even in areas where there is no RTK base or network coverage
- Uses corrections from GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou constellations to provide highly accurate and reliable positioning
- With an RTK ASSIST subscription, RTK ASSIST maintains centimetre-level positioning for up to 20 minutes of RTK correction outages
- RTK ASSIST PRO is available only on OEM7® products.
- RTK ASSIST is available on all OEM7 products and is only available on OEM628, FlexPak6 and SMART6-L products.
1. What is TerraStar and how does it work?
TerraStar GNSS correction services provide precise orbit, clock, biases and other system parameters to enable precise positioning worldwide. Combined with NovAtel OEM positioning technology, it enables sub-metre to centimetre-level positioning. TerraStar corrections are transmitted in real-time, with minimal latency, via satellites and through cellular networks (Internet Protocol).
2. What TerraStar services are offered currently?
TerraStar offers scalable correction services from sub-metre to centimetre-level to meet the individual application need.
|TerraStar Service||Constellation Supported||Horizontal Accuracy1||Initial Convergence1|
|Sub-metre||TerraStar-L||GPS and GLONASS||40 cm (RMS), 50 cm (95%)||< 5 mins|
|Sub-decimetre||TerraStar-C||GPS and GLONASS||4 cm (RMS), 5 cm (95%)||30 - 45 mins|
|Centimetre||TerraStar-C PRO||GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou||2.5 cm (RMS), 3 cm (95%)||< 18 mins|
1 Performance may differ based on receiver capabilities, location, GNSS constellation health and visibility, GNSS/L-Band signal obstructions, level of multipath/interference, and local atmospheric conditions.
3. What is RTK ASSIST and how does it work?
Powered by TerraStar, RTK ASSIST enables NovAtel receivers to maintain centimetre-level precision during RTK correction outages due to radio signal blind spots or cellular network connectivity interruptions.
RTK ASSIST operates in the background using the satellite-delivered corrections to compute and adjust precise positioning relative to RTK positioning with centimetre-level precision. RTK ASSIST automatically works in the background seamlessly engaging and disengaging between RTK correction outages.
4. What is the difference between RTK ASSIST and RTK ASSIST PRO?
While RTK ASSIST can be enabled either via RTK ASSIST or RTK ASSIST PRO subscription, they are designed to overcome different RTK challenges.
RTK ASSIST is intended to extend RTK operations for brief RTK correction outages. RTK ASSIST will disengage after 20 minutes of continuous operation.
RTK ASSIST PRO extends RTK level performance without any timeout, allowing for even longer downtimes. It also enables centimetre-level positioning to operate in regions with no or severely degraded RTK coverage. RTK ASSIST PRO uses multi-constellation corrections to deliver highly reliable centimetre-level positioning and reducing the time to reach FULL ASSIST mode.
|Constellation Support||RTK Outage Period Supported||Horizontal Precision1||Convergence Time (to FULL ASSIST2)|
|RTK ASSIST||GPS and GLONASS||Up to 20 minutes||< 5 cm (95%)||< 30 mins|
|RTK ASSIST PRO||GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou||Unlimited||< 3 cm (95%)||< 10 mins|
1.Performance may differ based on receiver capabilities, location, GNSS constellation health and visibility, GNSS/L-Band signal obstructions, level of multipath/interference, and local atmospheric conditions.
2. See Application Note APN073: RTK ASSIST for more information.
5. On which NovAtel products are TerraStar and RTK ASSIST services available?
TerraStar services are available on most OEM6® and OEM7® products, with minor exceptions shown in the table below. Customers using OEMV™ or SPAN® on OEMV products will need to upgrade to OEM6 or OEM7 hardware to get TerraStar services.
|OEM628, FlexPak6 and SMART6-L. All OEM7 except OEM76001.|
|✔||✖||OEM628, OEM638, FlexPak6, ProPak6 and SMART6-L products. All OEM7 except OEM7600.|
|All OEM7 except OEM7600.|
|OEM628, FlexPak6 and SMART6-L. All OEM7 except OEM76001.|
|RTK ASSIST PRO||✖||
|All OEM7 except OEM7600.|
1OEM7600 will support TerraStar services in future releases.
6. What applications can benefit from TerraStar or RTK ASSIST services?
TerraStar GNSS corrections and NovAtel OEM solutions are used in agriculture, survey, GIS, mobile mapping, construction and mining, unmanned and airborne applications. Contact NovAtel Sales, to discuss your specific needs.
7. How can I obtain a TerraStar or RTK ASSIST service?
NovAtel customers can purchase TerraStar or RTK ASSIST services for a specific receiver directly from NovAtel. TerraStar services are available on specific platforms and models. Models can be purchased and enabled through authorization codes similar to other receiver features such as ALIGN and SPAN. The receiver should have the correct firmware version and the model for enabling the requested TerraStar service. The following table summarizes the required minimum model and the compliant FW versions, for different TerraStar services.
|TerraStar Service||OEM6||OEM7||Required Minimum Model|
|TerraStar-L||6.700 or later||7.02 or later||L-Band and GLIDE® (OEM6)|
|TerraStar-C||6.600 or later||Not supported||L-Band and PPP (OEM6)|
|TerraStar-C PRO||Not supported||7.05 or later||PPP|
|RTK ASSIST||6.710 or later||7.02 or later||L-Band and RTK (OEM6)|
|RTK ASSIST PRO||Not supported||7.05 or later||RTK|
If you purchased your NovAtel product from an authorized dealer or integrator, please contact them directly to purchase subscriptions. Click here for a list of NovAtel dealers.
8. How is TerraStar or RTK ASSIST service activated on a receiver?
TerraStar and RTK ASSIST services are activated for a specific unit via a subscription. The customer can request the service to start immediately or at a specified start date/time (within 90 days).
Activation messages for the subscription are sent over the air via satellite at the start of the service and periodically afterward. Customers can request through NovAtel Support a resend of their activations if the initial activation was missed.
See TERRASTARINFO log for more details or contact NovAtel support.
9. What is the difference between regional and global subscriptions?
Regional subscriptions are transmitted over three adjoining satellites to provide continent-wide coverage. Global subscriptions are transmitted over all seven satellites to provide worldwide coverage.
10. Are there any restrictions in using TerraStar services?
Regional land subscriptions are limited to a maximum speed of 130 km/h (or 80 mph). Global land and unmanned applications have no speed limit and operate up to 10 km from shore to allow operation along coastlines. Airborne subscriptions are not restricted geographically and have no speed limitation.
TerraStar subscriptions cannot be used for marine and offshore applications. Contact NovAtel support, to discuss more about your application needs.
11. Is there a demo/test activation for TerraStar service?
Yes, customers can request demo/test activations. Contact your local dealer or NovAtel support for more information.
12. Where can I get further support related to TerraStar subscription services?
NovAtel’s Applications Engineering team supports all products sold by NovAtel, including TerraStar and RTK ASSIST subscriptions.
Click here to contact support.