NovAtel Inertial Explorer®
Inertial Explorer® (IE) maximizes the performance of your GNSS/INS hardware by ensuring you get the position, velocity and attitude accuracy your application requires. The tightly coupled integration of GNSS and IMU data delivers precise results, even when lower grade inertial sensors are used. IE can produce results suitable for demanding applications such as mobile mapping, aerial and hydrographic surveying. IMU data from high end Fibre Optic Gyro (FOG) or Ring Laser Gyro (RLG) IMUs, and from lower grade sensor technology such as Micro Electrical Mechanical Systems (MEMS) can be processed.
Flexible Workflow Capabilities
IE has workflows to match your business and your expertise. A project wizard is available to allow new GNSS/INS users to become productive quickly. For more experienced users, a wealth of processing configuration options are available. Automated processing environment detection (aerial, ground vehicle, pedestrian and marine) allows appropriate GNSS + INS processing settings to be used automatically to simplify workflow and reduce the learning curve needed to start producing quality results.
- Full dual frequency GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo and QZSS support within differential processor
- Dual frequency GPS, GLONASS and BeiDou supported in PPP processor
- Support for up to 32 base stations
- Attitude corrections are automatically applied for the effect of the deflections of the vertical using a geopotential model of the Earth based on EGM2008
- Boresight module for solving angular offsets between IMU and camera frames
- Loosely and tightly coupled GNSS/INS processing
- Easy integration with our SPAN® GNSS/INS products
- Streamlined Project Wizard for quick startup
- Single step GNSS and Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) processing for efficient workflow
- Built-in processing profiles for airborne, ground, pedestrian and marine projects
- Support for multiple base stations
- Precise Point Positioning (PPP) processing
Inertial Explorer runs within our familiar Waypoint GrafNav processing environment and data analysis is performed with the same plotting tools. Inertial Explorer supports the following two processing modes:
- Loosely Coupled (LC): The GNSS trajectory is first processed and the resulting time-stamped position and velocity updates are passed to the loosely coupled processor. In this two-stage mode, users can extensively QC their processed GNSS-trajectory prior to LC processing.
- Tightly Coupled (TC): In this mode, GNSS and INS data are processed simultaneously. This mode is generally favoured in challenging GNSS conditions as it maximizes GNSS availability, as phase updates (which form the distance and direction traveled between epochs) can be applied where as few as two satellites are available. This serves to significantly limit inertial error growth in the absence of a full GNSS position update.
It is the user's responsibility to time tag each set of inertial measurements to the GPS time frame during the data collection process. NovAtel's SPAN® technology offers this. For more information on SPAN, click here.
Other similar products which could be used instead of the product, depending on application.
Inertial Explorer SDK
Inertial Explorer SDK (Software Developers Kit) is a suite of tools that can be used standalone or embedded for GNSS/INS post-processing in enterprise software or processing workflow.