Chief Engineer, Connect- #14028
Location: Calgary, AB
As the Chief Engineer for the Software Applications Team, you will be working with an international team of highly motivated and skilled designers, software leads, contractors, customer support teams, sales teams and product managers to provide NovAtel customers with a user experience that will leave them amazed! You will diligently work to understand NovAtel customer use cases in all our existing markets and will continue to work with the internal teams to find new and innovative ways to leverage our customer facing software to find new sources of revenue.
As Chief Engineer you will partner closely with Product Management and are accountable for delivering and maintaining a technical product roadmap and ensuring the team can navigate the roadmap. You will work closely with team Functional Managers and Team Leads to ensure a clear strategy is in place to keep teams delivering to the roadmap and will be accountable for ensuring team success. This role will require you to be flexible in your time management and will require some travel.
- Maintain accountability for the overall Product Line delivered by the Software Applications Team. This currently includes but is not limited to: NovAtel Connect, NovAtel Convert, PC USB Driver (Win, Linux, iOS, Andriod, etc), Web User Interface Content, and future Applications
- Create new product project plans and estimates, working to manage existing customers by working with Customer Service teams, as well as sustaining and regression testing of new features on older platforms
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional disciplines to fully understand market requirements and be the initial technical point of contact for the Software Applications Team
- Set high level objectives for the team aligned with the technical roadmap
- Create and manage a 3yr rolling technology roadmap for the Software Applications Team that aligns with Novatel’s vision to support all NovAtel products as defined by Product Management and yourself
- Work closely with team leads and technical leads to ensure new product architectures are sound and cover foreseeable use cases
- Use your strong project management skills to ensure that launched projects stay on time, on budget and with exemplar quality
- Use tools like Jira and Confluence to manage and document the work required
- Triage customer service issues and manage them to conclusion working closely with various NovAtel subject matter experts in hardware and firmware teams
- Work closely with Product Managers to review Product Brochure features and ensure product compliance to agreed features
- Create pre-development plans to prove in new and technologies required to full-fill and deliver the technology roadmap required to support all foreseen product lines
- Ensure the technical teams abide by NovAtel software development processes and ensure a culture of continuous improvement displayed by all.
- Review technical documents, customer quotes, and technical questions by a variety of teams, including direct customers and must provide clear, concise and accurate responses
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Software Engineering from a four-year college or university or equivalent education and experience
- Experience in complex software implementations that implemented a variety of architectures and methods. Must be familiar with multi-thread or multi-process programing,Model-View-Controller Architectures, and GUI design concepts
- An understanding of the difference between graphic design and front end web design, or be able to properly articulate what a User Experience Designer does
- Strong knowledge of the following communication protocols: RS232, TCP/IP, UDP, USB VCOM’s
- Some working knowledge or understanding of Windows USB Driver certification (WHQL)
- Good understanding of Wifi (both AP and Client modes) and Bluetooth implementations
- Proficient at using collaboration tools like Skype, Bridgit, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and team work abilities
- 2-3 years of management experience: mix of functional management, project management, architecture work
- Experience working closely with sales teams, customers, product management and being able to distill meaningful use cases from conversations that can be developed into internal requirements
- 2-3 years of experience in GNSS industry would be of significant value
- Experience in project managing a software team in a variety of processes (Agile experience preferred, experience with additional processes is an asset)
- Canadian professional designation is an asset
- Multiplatform Development experience would be an asset (delivered apps that were platform agnostic)
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to: hr@NovAtel.com.
In your email subject heading, please include your full name, and the competition # of the position.
We are committed to the principles of employment equity and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it. Resumes and other recruitment material will be retained, and will only be accessed by those individuals involved in the recruitment process.